31 October 2014

Tested - Best hair products for thin limp hair


I used to have thick healthy head of hair before I moved to Dubai. So thick that my hair dresser used to complain that she had to work extra hard just to blow dry my hair! Fast forward 10 years later, I am left with half of what I used to have. Don't get me wrong, I am not turning Kojak anytime soon, as hair is still 'sprouting' on my head as I type here but the hard water that Dubai is famous of is steadily doing its job to making my hair thinner faster than the new hair is growing. Yes, hair fall is a common problem in Dubai. Everywhere you'll hear the moan and groan of the expats (especially the new ones) as they realized that their hair is thinning and their horror as the plumber pulled out a hand full of hair from the drain! (Yes, I almost fainted)

My hair is naturally coarse, straight, dark and heavy. It tolerates heat very well and resistant to coloring. It tends to get flat especially when it is kept long and styling products rarely work on it. Having a flat thick hair is one thing but thin flat hair is another story. Along the way, through trial and error, I realized that too much product will not help my hair getting fluffier but flatter instead. The style plays an important role as well. My hair would look fuller and lighter in shorter cut and a shorter side fringe helps making the top a little bouncier. 

Here is my sworn by products that proved to work (at least on me!) :



This shampoo by Keihl's is on the pricey side but rather than try something that might not work, I'd rather spend some money on something that does. It is light and leaves hair feeling 'bare' and clean. So light that you can use it daily if you want. 


This conditioner also by Keihl's is so light weight but still, I don't use it everyday and only at the end of the hair shaft, never on the scalp. This conditioner gives all the nutrients the hair needed without adding the weight.


Now, this is where the magic is. We tend to over styling our hair and use too much product that leaves our hair coated with residue resulting to dull lifeless hair. Shampooing once a week with this anti-residue shampoo allows it to strip our hair from the unwanted including chlorine if you are a swimmer and get our hair ready for all the nutrients our regular shampoo and conditioner have.
For texturing, I use this product by John Master. This organic sea salt and lavender spray adds volume, texture and perfect to revive a day old hair. It is better than dry shampoo in my opinion as it leaves no residue and the lavender fragrance is delicious! Remember though, less is more.  Use sparingly and you will see the good result!

What is your go to hair product? Do you have any tips for thin and flat hair? 


post signature

16 comments:

  1. they seem like lovely products...I haven't experienced hair loss yet, but I can imagine that such a climate has its downsides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have very thick, course hair but it's wavy... maybe unruly is a better word. The cancer treatments that I'm not receiving every 10 to 12 weeks are known to cause thinning of the hair but not baldness. Perhaps I'll soon have thinner hair too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its for the greater good, Elaine.. wishing you well :)

      Delete
  3. Kojak... ehehehe ..honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, that sea mist looks great! Have a happy Halloween!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have the opposite problem from yours: my hair is fine like a baby's, and because it's naturally curly it gets frizzy. There are bad hair days (= every day) and then there is rainy day hair (= worse). I never know what it's going to look like on any given day as it has a mind of its own and reacts to weather (remember thst episode of Friends where Monica had crazy curly hair in hot and humid weather? Yep, that would be me...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Another FRIENDS fan! Yes, I totally forgotten the humidity!

      Delete
  6. I have really fine limp hair and have found washing my hair less frequently has really helped to give it volume. I use an organic shampoo & conditioner called Original Sprout and Not Your Mother's Dry Shampoo that I just love. Thanks for sharing and I may have to stop by me local Kiehl to check out your recommendation.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I on the other side need to wash my hair daily due to excess sebum hence the Keihl's shampoo. I use sea salt mist on days I don't have time to wash my hair to give it a fresher look and a bit of bounce

      Delete
  7. I love Kiehls products! Recently I started using Davines to style/texture my hair.
    Red Reticule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I have to check out this Davines product :)

      Delete
  8. I've heard a lot of good things about the first product, but I've yet to try it. I'll definitely be checking it out next time I'm at Kiehl's. I have thinning hair too. At first I thought it was just post partum, but it has never stopped, so I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your hair still producing new hair I don't think it should be of concern :) sometimes hormone plays a role too

      Delete
  9. Hello, Gorgeous. Just wanted to pop in and say hey ... miss seeing your face lately!

    I stay with the color-protecting products on my fine, thinning hair. I've had to use Minoxidil for a couple of years now for thinning, but color helps a lot for body. Not always an option, and I'm lucky. The minute my roots get an eighth of an inch out, my pixie looks limp ... but my short style is an over all volume booster.
    Hope all is well at your house, and that you and yours are thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great review! Will try the John Master! Thank you for sharing!
    xo, Jane
    http://www.fitfabfunmom.com

    ReplyDelete

Say your thoughts!