29 June 2014

Ramadhan Kareem!




Today, marks the first day of Ramadhan, the 9th month in the Islamic calender where Muslims all over the world spend their days fasting from sunrise to sunset - abstain from food, drink and refocus their attention to God. It is more than just refraining from food and drinks but also from evil action, thoughts and words. It is the month of giving and strengthening ties between family and friends. 

During this month in Dubai, the restaurants and cafes will be closed during the day and eating, drinking or smoking in public is prohibited. So, things will slow down a bit. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all the Muslim readers and friends all around the world 'Ramadhan Kareem' and may this month brings peace, wisdom and the world together.




post signature

6 comments:

  1. Wow I had no idea about this. I can't imagine a whole city-especially one like Dubai coming to a stop like that, but it's wonderful! I don't know if you celebrate but if you do happy Ramadhan Kareem to you and your family

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city normally slows down during the day but picks up after sundown.. stores and restaurants normally open till late.. really late like 1am or something. It is better that way since it is so hot now, so hot that I wouldn't want to stick my nose out of the comfort of my air-condition home! Even an outfit shot is a drag for me, hence the lack of outfit posts lately

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Ramadan Kareem :)
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramadhan Kareem! I know this is an important celebration and muslims all over the world observe it. I've met a few muslims in Nordic countries who find it particularly challenging, though, as in summer the night is really non- existant... I mean, it's one thing to fast fir 12 hours, another thing altogether for 20...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Dubai it is 15 hour fast this year due to summer and I heard 22 hours in Russia.. I mean that is almost the whole day! It is already hot here even without the fasting, let alone fasting especially for those construction workers out there..

      Delete

Say your thoughts!