22 March 2014

Foodie Weekend - Fettuccine with smoke salmon, mustard and sundried tomatoes



Happy Weekend, everybody! 

It has been almost 2 weeks since I last posted a recipe on Foodie Weekend.  This is because I have been doing some reviews on restaurants in Dubai instead.  It is good for Dubai readers to know more about places to eat here and also for those of you abroad, it would be good reference especially if you are planning for a vacation in glorious Dubai anytime soon. Anyway, in short, expect to see some reviews on top of the usual easy recipes I usually have on this page every weekend.

Starting from a few days ago, I have gone Paleo and planning to do this for a month straight.  It is going to be a challenge especially because I love carb.  For an example, this recipe here, Fettucine with smoke salmon, mustard and sundried tomatoes is one of my favorite cream pastas and it is not possible for me to feast on this for the next month but I still cooked it earlier today for lunch for Captain and the boys. Temptation was great but I did it and went with plain smoked salmon and greens for lunch instead.

This recipe calls for a bit of mustard which goes so well with smoked salmon and the sundried tomatoes.  Now, the original (I'm talking nonna Italiana or Italian grandma's recipe) used mustard powder but I used the old style grainny mustard.  I love the texture and the taste is also milder and not too over powering.  Well, it all depends on your taste bud.  Go ahead and throw in the Dijon if you fancy it strong! 

So without further ado, lets get to work so that you could try out this recipe this weekend!


:: Ingredients ::
serves 4

500 grams of fettuccine or tagliatelle 
200 grams of smoked salmon (about 2 packets), sliced into smaller pieces
1 cup of chopped sundried tomatoes
250 ml of cooking cream (I used low fat)
2-3 cloves of garlic, bruised/crushed
2 stalks of spring onion or chives, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon of old style grainny mustard OR
1/4 tablespoon of mustard powder
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Some extra virgin olive oil
Some freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste


:: Method ::

Boil the fettuccine or tagliatelle in a large pot of boiling, salt infused water, 
setting the time to al-dente or slightly chewy
Meanwhile, in a hot skillet, add some extra virgin olive oil and sautee the garlic
for about 30 seconds.
Add cream, chives or spring onion, mustard, salt and pepper.  
Bring to boil while stirring occasionally.
Add in salmon, lemon juice and sundried tomatoes
Drain the cooked pasta and add to the sauce.
Mix well, sprinkle some Parmesan and serve.




Good luck trying this recipe and please feel free to ask me questions should there be any and I'll be happy to help.  Buon appetito, enjoy!


post signature

9 comments:

  1. Ahh Mrs C!!! Your blog.....it's looks beautiful! Love the color scheme and new design! It's perfect! ANd this Fettuccine with smoked salmon looks soooo delectable! I wish I could just take a bite out of the screen :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie, I am glad you like the new design and color scheme!

      Delete
  2. Lovely recipe, must try!! I am trying to cut down on the carbs but I find it really hard as I'm a carb junkie, I could live on pasta or potatoes!! Looking forward to see you soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, Pia.. after 4 days I am ok without carb. Of course I wish I could gobble the pasta but I was ok without. Not sure if I can say the same after a couple of weeks, but we'll see :)

      Delete
  3. Can you believe that I'm one big fettucine girl.....love this dish so much since time immemorial so thanks for this inspo which I will surely try pronto!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I am the fettuccine girl :) Good luck trying and hope you'll like it :)

      Delete
  4. Yum, looks tasty! :)

    Thanks for your comment on my blog! The rocco bag is great, really nice leather! Although it's a little heavy I do like it.

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so scrumptious! Great idea for a weeknight dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm im hungry now! jajaja muaa

    Un Rincón Para Mis Botas
    http://fiorellaechegaray.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete

Say your thoughts!